Saturday, November 10, 2012

Storage Shed Organization System from Upcycled Pallets

I am currently adding new content on my new blog The House That Never Slumbers. Please visit me there!

The shed is about 10' x 9', and yes, I know it could use some paint :)
Why was I even saving half of this junk?



Since we don't have a garage at our house, we have to rely on a very small shed as storage for all our random outdoor items.  We've been piling miscellaneous stuff in the shed for nearly a decade (because we're hoarders like that) without a good organization system.  Shelving is expensive, and there just never seems to be the money to buy fancy storage shelves for outside use.  Fortunately, I have a decent source of safe pallets.



I had plans to eventually build a canning shelf for my basement from some of my pallets because lack of adequate storage has been my major excuse for not canning our own produce for years.  However, I knew I couldn't build the canning shelf without first clearing one entire wall of the basement storage room.  Clearing space in the basement meant moving some items to the shed.  Did I already mention the floor to the shed was covered with random junk?

I began this pallet project by dragging all the items out of the shed.  This took a long time, and the temperature was about 95 that day.  I was able to throw away enough of the items to fill our dumpster.

I then measured the inside of the shed to find out the length of cuts I would need to make on my 2' x 4's and to determine how I should arrange the pallets.  I used wood screws with the star bit head to fasten the pallets to the 2' x 4's.  I find this type of construction much easier than trying to fasten with nails which I often bend.  I also don't have to worry about smashing my thumb over and over with the wood screws.  The screws will also make it easier to take the shelves apart and reconfigure them when we eventually buy a more attractive shed.  In my experience, the star bit does not strip the screw like a phillips bit.

 The construction of these shelving units was a quick process.  Putting the pallets together didn't take nearly as long dragging all the items from the shed.  Only one injury was sustained in the process of this project, and that was a bruise from a pallet I dropped right on top of my foot.
There's plenty of extra space for the items I need to move from the basement.

Using my free pallets and a couple of purchased boards and screws, I was able to build a shelving system to cover the entire shed at a fraction of the cost of buying one shelf from a big box store.  Not to mention, I found a purpose for the pallets which would have otherwise made their way to a dumpster.


  • Total Cost:  16 - 2' x 4's at $2.35 ea. ($37.60) + 1 1/2 boxes 3 in. screws ($5.07)  + 15 pallets (FREE) = $42.67





No comments:

Post a Comment